Thursday, March 10, 2011

Car Trouble? Wonder Mom to the Rescue!

So, We have old cars.  We always have and we probably will continue to for a while...that's usually what happens when you insist on paying cash for your cars.  Along with old cars sometimes come a lot of car troubles.  BLLEKKKKK!  I hate car trouble.  Many of our cars have been great finds and very little trouble at all.  But, The Rhino is a little different.  Never a dull moment. 
Because of this, I have found a new hobby...fixing The Rhino.  In the last two months I have troubleshooted the battery and cables--still not completely done, but I'm getting closer after some reading on the internet yesterday.  I have become friends with the local salvage yard and have bought parts for and repaired: the transmission parts for one of the wipers (it works), the broken interior door handles of the driver and passenger doors (with Spencer's help), and most recently I replaced the blower motor.  (really quite easy and cost us 20$ and one hour of time instead of 225$...can't beat that)!

It's been fun to have something new to do, but really...am I turning into the steriotypical redneck?

Ok here's a recent scene from my life...
I went to Harps to get some milk really fast.  Problem is that when I got back out to the car, the car wouldn't start.  UGHH!  battery connection quirky and corroded again!, And...the parking lot was crowded (dinnertime) Embarassing!  so, I rolled down the window to let myself out (door handle broken at this point) and with tools in my hand, I tried to descretely open the hood.  All's good, no unnecessary attention.  I know what to do.  Tinkered around with the bolt a bit and retried the motor (don't close the door yet, I might have to get back out and the handle's broken, right?) Took two tries, but started up.  After I was sure the motor was idling alright, I jumped out and calmly closed the hood, got in the car and rolled my window back up.  PHEWW!  I only felt more "backwoods-ish" as I heard the undercarriage of the car squeak and squeal as I drove it out of the bumpy parking lot (dang salt and rust corrosion).  

Oh Well!  It's only my pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment